The Southeast College saluted student achievement at its Estevan campus during the annual industry education luncheon.
Forty-one scholarships, with a total value of more than $42,000, were handed out Thursday to a total of 28 students in different programs at the Estevan campus. A few of the students couldn’t attend because they were working, and putting the skills they have learned at the college to good use.
Jeff Richards, the vice-president of strategic development for the college, noted the college will dole out about $189,000 in scholarships and bursaries through the support of donors and sponsors. That includes $44,000 in achievement awards, $24,000 through the Fuelling the Future campaign, $32,000 in entrance awards; and $89,000 through the Saskatchewan Innovation and Opportunities Scholarship fund.
This year’s recipients were:
- Xerox bursary: Naomi Rossen (office administration);
- Southeast College Governors Bursary: Laura Antoine and Loriann Glowatski (both in adult basic education Level 4);
- Southeast College post-secondary scholarships for Estevan: Ashley Raiwet (fourth class power engineering), Rebecca Mott (electrician), Matthew Sovdi (heavy equipment and truck and transport technician [HETT]), Jared Baker (industrial mechanic), Carla Yanyu (office administration) and Carlin Pylychaty (welding);
- City of Estevan bursaries: Kent Berreth (HETT) and Hailey Hoffmann (office administration);
- Enbridge Fuelling the Future scholarship: Vincent Jay Rabanes (power engineering technician fourth class), Iqbal Singh Sidhu (industrial mechanic), Robert Stoddart (HETT) and Cody-Rae Wasilinchuk (welding);
- Estevan Lions Club bursary: Hailey Hoffman (office administration);
- Power Dodge scholarship: Mackenzie Fichter and Broc Goodwin (both industrial mechanics);
- Quota International of Estevan scholarship: Alana Dreher (continuing care assistant);
- Saskatchewan Oil and Gas Show Fuelling the Future bursaries: Kent Berreth (HETT), Mackenzie Fichter (industrial mechanic), Iqbal Singh Sidhu (industrial mechanic) and Cody-Rae Wasilinchuk (welding).
- Souris Valley Paving bursaries: Vincent Jay Rabanes (power engineering technician fourth class) and Robert Stoddart (HETT).
- Tundra Energy Marketing Limited Fuelling the Future Scholarships: Dawson Clunas (HETT), Jamie-Lynn Kerslake (office administration), Vladyslav Koziuchenko (electrician), Carlin Pylychaty (welding), Naomi Rossen (office administration), Ethan Shirley (electrician), Matthew Sovdi (HETT), Myles Stepp (HETT), Shealyn Wenzel (office administration) and Carla Yanyu (office administration);
- Weyburn Oilwomen Association Pursuit of Oilfield Excellence Scholarship: Rebecca Mott, electrician.
- SaskPower Fuelling the Future Scholarship for fourth class power engineering: Estelita Agustin, Lyle Fatteicher and Ashley Raiwet;
- Government of Saskatchewan Opportunity Scholarship: Clarence Vistal (power engineer fourth class);
- Fire Sky Energy Ronald Wanner Scholarship: Henri Freitag (industrial mechanic).
Next week’s edition of the Mercury will have more on this story.