Update: Suspect in Carnduff incident appears in court

One person is facing charges for firing at a police vehicle in Carnduff last week.

An officer from the Carnduff RCMP detachment was transporting a 65-year-old male suspect to his residence in Carnduff on Thursday night. The man had been arrested, charged and released for impaired driving and refusing to submit to a breath test.

article continues below

“The accused had been co-operative with the police and was being turned over to his spouse at their residence until his court appearance,” stated a news release from the RCMP Saskatchewan’s media relations division.

The accused was taken out of the police car by the officer outside of the residence. They moved inside the double garage attached to the house where they were met by the spouse of the accused.

According to the news release, the accused then told the officer he had to go to the bathroom. The officer told him not to leave, but the accused continued to walk away toward a door within the garage. The officer asked the spouse if there was a bathroom in that area; she reported the door does not lead to a bathroom.

The officer got closer to the unknown door when he heard the distinctive sound of a round of a shotgun being chambered. The officer drew his pistol and backed away from the door as the accused exited the room carrying a shotgun pointed at the ceiling. The officer told him to drop the shotgun.

“The accused instead told his spouse to open the garage door,” the news release stated. “He exited the garage and fired rounds at the police car before fleeing on foot. The officer was not in the police car, but still in the garage.”

The officer quickly moved the spouse to safety inside the residence while tracking the armed individual with his pistol.

Additional RCMP members and a police dog were called to the scene and set a perimeter to contain the accused. Shortly after the police dog arrived at the scene, the accused walked out of a nearby wooded area, unarmed, and surrendered.

The shotgun was recovered from the wooded area where the accused was hiding. The accused was taken into custody. The accused will make his first court appearance Sept. 30 in Estevan Provincial Court.

Gary Munroe Millions has been charged with single counts of impaired driving, refusing to submit to a breath request, escaping lawful custody, mischief/willful damage in excess of $5,000, using a prohibited device while committing an offence, using a firearm in a carless manner, carrying a firearm for the purpose of committing an offence and three charges of unlawful firearms storage.

Bail has been denied in the case. He was remanded into custody and his next appearance will be in person Oct. 7 in Estevan Provincial Court.  

© Copyright Estevan Mercury

Comments

NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Estevan Mercury welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus

Don Cherry POLL

Should Don Cherry have been fired by Sportsnet?

or  view results

ESTEVAN WEATHER