Fortunately, the fire alarm that came on at the Estevan Leisure Centre on Jan. 6 was false.
Deputy fire chief Rick Davies of the Estevan Fire Rescue Service talked about the incident.
“With the help of city maintenance staff it was determined that it was a false alarm contributed to possible power outages that were going on in the area at the time,” Davies said.
Earlier in the week, the fire department was dispatched to a two-vehicle collision on the truck bypass by Petro Canada on Jan. 3. The crews responded and assisted with de-energizing the vehicle and cleaning up the scene.
Two residential fire alarms kept the Estevan Fire Rescue Service busy on Jan. 4 and 5. In both cases the alarms were cooking related and didn’t require fire assistance at all.
Deputy fire chief Davies noticed that residential alarms come out of monitor systems, which are a part of private security systems. According to the general procedure, if the smoke alarm is deactivated, the homeowner is supposed to be contacted first. And then, if needed the information should be immediately forwarded to the fire department. However, it’s not always the case.
Firefighters were also called to the Hillcrest Early Learning Centre, for a reported smell of burning plastic. There were no notable findings of a problem. Electricians will be called to troubleshoot the issue.