Saturday turned out to be a busy day for the Estevan Fire Rescue Service, as they were called to two almost simultaneous fire cases. The first call came in at about 3 p.m. from an apartment complex in the south-central area of the city.
“We were called to a commercial fire alarm which turned out to be a kitchen fire,” said Fire Chief Dale Feser.
Crews arrived on the scene to find that the building occupants were safely evacuated. There was smoke coming from the first floor suite.
“We were able to gain entry into the suite to find that there was substantial smoke coming from the kitchen area. The crew was able to turn off the stove, remove the food and sweep the apartment. However, we did find one occupant still inside the apartment,” Feser said.
Firefighters removed the remaining occupant. The smoke was cleared from the apartment and building at which time the tenants were allowed to return. There were no injuries as a result of smoke inhalation.
“Unattended cooking is the leading cause of the fire-related fatalities in North America,” reminded Feser.
Roughly about 15 minutes into that call, the Fire department was also called to another reported structure fire out in Hitchcock.
“We had to divide on this particular event. We sent two trucks with a crew of nine to Hitchcock,” Feser said.
An assessment was done on the building. The homeowner said there was a very strong campfire smoke smell inside the structure of a double large detached garage.
The firefighters were able to get in the garage; they de-energized the building and used thermo-scanning technologies, but could not find any cause for the smell.
The homeowner opened up doors to start the ventilation process, so there was no major smell upon the fire crews’ arrival. No injuries were reported.