The Estevan Fire Rescue Service handled a few alarms calls from residences in the city this week.
The fire department was called to a reported residential fire alarm in northeast Estevan. Once crews arrived on scene, it was determined that no real emergency was occurring at the single-family dwelling.
“It was … a rental home, and the new renters or tenants did not know the password, nor did they know that it was a monitored system. So when they were in there, they realized that there was a low battery that was occurring, so they went to change the battery, which initiated a signal to the fire department.”
Feser said it’s a good reminder to renters, tenants and landlords to ensure they’re aware of the types of fire protection equipment installed. The landlord should relay pass codes, and whether it’s a monitored system.
Then on Wednesday, firefighters were called to a residential fire alarm in north-central Estevan. They arrived to find it was cooking-related. The command team checked to verify that was the case, and the fire engine was on stand-by at the station.
“This was just a simple case of a family cooking breakfast and the bacon got away on them a little bit. Not enough smoke was left in the home to warrant any ventilation, so it was turned back to the homeowner, and all units returned to the station,” said Feser.
Then they were called to a residential fire alarm in east-central Estevan. When crews arrived on scene, they found a contractor on site. The work process created dust, which mimicked smoke, and sent the alarm system into activation mode.
“If homeowners or businesses do have contractors on site, doing construction or projects, please utilize contractor covers to cover these detection devices during that process to prevent accidental alarms from occurring.”
The firefighters also did some search and rescue training on Tuesday night.
Feser also cautioned people that it is starting to get dry again. While Estevan received some moisture in the ground Thursday night due to the high humidity, Feser cautioned farmers to exercise extreme caution when out in the fields working.