The Estevan Motor Speedway has been forced to postpone its program scheduled for July 5, billed as Sunday Funday.
The program was to start at 6 p.m., and would have had fans in the speedway’s grandstand for the first time this season.
But when the provincial government released its Phase 4, Part 3 guidelines for the Re-Open Saskatchewan Plan Tuesday afternoon, it stated that racetracks could have fans in attendance starting on July 16.
(Editor’s note: there will be an article and an ad in the July 1 edition of the Mercury. This edition of the paper went to print before the provincial government’s announcement was made).
In a post on its Facebook page, the speedway said they have spent considerable time making arrangements to follow the phase 4.2 reopening guidelines as it pertains to outdoor activities, including adhering to the limited seating capacity.
“We had been assured this was ok,” the speedway said.
The track would have gone beyond the provincial standars, and closed off two of every three rows of seats. Fans were asked to not sit next to each other, unless they were from the same household.
Since then, the Saskatchewan Health Authority has decided to categorize auto racing separately from football, baseball and other outdoor activities (which are currently allowed under phase 4.2). The speedway said the health authority said to not hold an event on July 5, which they will comply with.
Phase 4.3 was announced Tuesday afternoon and with the July 16 opening for racetracks. The board will meet Wednesday and release the date of the next race later this week.
The speedway thanked the businesses, volunteers, and organizations who went out of their way to make the July 5 program possible.
Those who pre-purchased tickets can use them at the next race.